We started making this recipe about a year ago and it is a family favorite. The kids absolutely love it with crackers or garlic soldiers. My husband and I put a swirl of truffle oil and pepper on top – yummy! So simple and delicious. The recipe says serves 8, but there is never enough for a main for my family of 5!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion (6 ounces), sliced thin
- 1 head cauliflower (~ 1 1/2 pounds), cut into florets
- salt to taste
- 5 1/2 cups water, divided
- Extra virgin olive oil to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Warm the olive oil in a heavy pan over low heat. Add sliced onion and ‘sweat’ the onion for about 15 minutes (do not brown).
- Add cauliflower, 1/2 cup water and salt to taste. Raise heat slightly and cover, stewing the cauliflower for about 15 minutes.
- Add additional 4 1/2 cups water and raise the heat to a simmer for 20 minutes uncovered.
- Blend soup with a hand blender or work in batches with a conventional blender. Let the soup stand for 20 minutes so it can thicken (if you have the time).
- Return to pan and thin soup with remaining 1/2 cup water to desired consistency.
- Drizzle with olive oil and add freshly ground black pepper.