Well it happened, 6 months after being here in Australia, we have one down (fever 102)! Never fear though, sick soup is here. This is our tried and true soup that my Mom always made us when we were sick, and now my kids ask for it by name, even when they are not sick and just want some comfort food. It is a Vietnamese style chicken and rice soup with just the right amounts of ginger and garlic.
Adapted from The Best of Vietnamese and Thai Cooking.
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup rice (jasmine if you have it)
- 6 cups chicken stock/broth
- 1/3 pound diced chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (maybe more depending on your stock)
- 1 Tablespoon ginger
- cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil and garlic until fragrant.
- Add rice and sauté until opaque (2-3 minutes).
- Add stock and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add chicken, salt and ginger and cook 10 minutes more.
- Garnish with cilantro.