Finally, a homemade macaroni and cheese recipe that the whole family loves! I’ve tried many recipes and was miffed as to why my kids would not eat homemade mac and cheese, but only mac and cheese from a box. Since mac and cheese is not readily available here in Australia, I decided to “give it another go” 🙂 this time only using cheeses I know the kids love – cheddar and monterey jack – and SUCCESS, they all love it!!
Bread Crumb Topping
- 2 cups panko
- 3 Tablespoons melted unsalted butter
Mac & Cheese
- 1 pound pasta
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 Tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons powdered mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack, shredded (2 cups)
- 8 ounces Sharp Cheddar, shredded (2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven broiler, set rack in middle position.
- Mix panko and melted butter, set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions with 1 teaspoon salt, and strain.
- Heat butter, when melted add flour and whisk in flour and continue whisking for about 30-45 seconds.
- Add milk slowly, bring to a simmer and continue stirring for about 4 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat, add cheeses and mix until melted. Add pasta and cook until heated through and steaming.
- Pour pasta and sauce mixture into a greased 9×13 pan. Sprinkle with panko.
- Broil in oven until browned, turning pan if necessary, 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool about 5 minutes.