I could not believe the flavor of this curry paste!! I’ve never made my own curry paste before and could not believe the flavor. Just be sure to not put your nose to close to the food processor when you open it – whew – it blows you away, and may make you cry 🙂
This recipe is also adapted from my Thai cooking class at the Sydney Fish Market.
Makes about 1 cup.
- 24 long dried red chilies
- 10 white peppercorns, crushed
- 2 stalks lemongrass (lower 1/3), cleaned and sliced
- 2 Tablespoons peeled and chopped galangal root
- 1 cilantro root, soaked to clean
- 1 teaspoon Thai shrimp paste, heated in microwave for 30 seconds
- 1/2 cup shallots
- 1/2 cup garlic
- Remove membranes and seed from chilies (you may want to wear gloves, and definitely don’t touch your eyes!)
- Soak chilies in warm water for 15-30 minutes. Drain and dry.
- Place peppercorns, lemongrass, galangal root and cilantro root into food processor and blend for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining and process until it forms a paste.