Here is the amazing soup I learned from the Sydney Fish Market class on Thai cooking. It is great, my 10 year old son was even able to equate it to the Thai version of miso soup with a little kick!
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 stalks lemon grass
- 3 slices galangal root
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 2 cilantro roots, soaked
- 4 Thai chilies, bruised
- 12 medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails on
- 1 cup oyster mushrooms, halved
- 2 Tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar, shaved
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Place first 5 ingredients in saucepan, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 15 minutes.
- Add chilies, shrimp and mushrooms and simmer covered, for 2 minutes.
- Add fish sauce, lime juice and palm sugar, then remove from heat.
- Taste – should be salty, sour and slightly hot.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.